The Ministry of Groove

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rescue at Rivenroar

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1 Rescue at Rivenroar on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:52 pm

The Minister

avatar
Broseidon, King of the Brocean
Brindol, a small town situated on the fringes of the civilized Elsir Vale, has a rich and varied history. Almost any person in the area knows of and will gladly tell the tale of deadly conflict that happened years ago. A goblin army calling themselves the Red Hand attacked the town 30 years ago, ransacking businesses and causing havoc among the townsfolk. But all that nastiness was put to an end by a group of heroic adventurers who mounted an expedition to the heart of the Red Hand and slew their leaders, scattering the remnants of the army to the four winds. In the years since then, Brindol has managed to not quite flourish, but make a name for itself as a successful border town, one of the last few outposts before venturing into the unknown wilderness.

For whatever reason, be it looking for lost friends, lost coin, or just a lost sense of adventure, it is in this town that you find yourself, at the door of the Antler and Thistle, Brindol's finest tavern. The sun is just setting beyond the horizon as you step inside, eager to take in a good meal and drink after a long day of travel.



Welcome to my first attempt at a PBP game in 4th edition. Since it's a classic cliche at this point, I figured we'd start the game with the ubiquitous tavern scene to kick things off. No combat stats are needed until combat actually starts, and hopefully if the iplay site works as well as I think it will, I won't need you to post them at all, instead tracking everything on that site. Assume your characters are all in this tavern for now, but you don't necessarily have to know each other. For anyone not familiar with PBP posting, my general way to format your posts is any in game speak in regular text, and any game rule speak in italics, with a line separating the two sections.

View user profile http://tmog.forumotion.net

2 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:53 pm

What about commands, italics or not? i.e.

I enter the tavern.

View user profile

3 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:27 pm

Torment

avatar
Teh Eagleman
"Oi, where could Lutz have gone! Maybe he is in here with all these burly men! atleast I can get a drink!" I think to myself. I enter the tavern and sit by the bar with his shining chainmail with a bright blue cape and quite flamboyant hairstyle.

I look around to notice if Lutz anywhere in the tavern but to no avail, I decide to order the most frilly drink the barkeep has as well as ask if he had seen Lutz, and describe him as a great man with very powerful thighs. I think about maybe singing him a lovely tune to peak his interest to keep my mind off of my poor missing companion Lutz.




I Guess I will change my Background to Seducer since that seems fun for this character.

View user profile

4 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:09 pm

Let's see if I can do a better job at describing my entrance.

Jael enters the tavern, clad in all black leather, cloak billowing as she claims the seat in the darkest corner as her own. White eyes shine from the depths of the hood of the black cloak otherwise obscuring her face. Upon her back resides a greatsword, serving only to amplify the aura of menace that seems to surround her. Should a barmaid come near to her, Jael will ask for her tankard to be filled with simple water. "One would not want to have a clouded mind on such a day as this. Today, nay, tonight begins everything."

Note: this assumes I have knowledge that the water in the area is safe, otherwise ale must be ordered but sparingly.



Last edited by Sean on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

5 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:41 am

A relatively short eladrin male walks in, a spitting image of a black mage. Thick blue robes cover him from cheeks to ankles, and his head is topped with a pointy wide-brimmed straw hat. At his side a longsword is sheathed, with a glowing glass orb lashed to the pommel. He extinguishes it as he walks through the door. A few pouches adorn his belt, and a fairly empty-looking backpack can be seen. He walks up to the bar and orders a whiskey, whatever food is hot, and a bed.


Light Cantrip

Do we need to differentiate between first person interaction and third person narrative, or should that be fairly easy to distinguish?



Last edited by RandMuadDib on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

6 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:03 pm

A stout dwarf with a full head of hair and a braided beard walks into the Tavern. With a humble staff and a gray robe, the dwarf appears more shapely than most dwarves. Yet also seems to be a bit uglier than most at the exact same time.

"With the light of Moradin", Squarfly thinks to herself, "I will find the truth that has escaped my clan for so long." Squarfly orders some food and enough Ale so that the food will go down smooth.

View user profile

7 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:46 pm

Eyes a bit glazed, showing signs of slight intoxication, a massive gray man is already sitting at the bar. The customers make a conscious effort to avoid coming near him either because he has bad BO or they figure him to be a giant liable to tear their heads off.

Little known to these people is that this individual as scary as he looks, he possess a heart of gold and secretly wishes he had a kitty cat as a companion. If not a kitty maybe a rabbit but of course he may be allergic to rabbit fur, damnit the choices.

View user profile

8 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:25 pm

The Minister

avatar
Broseidon, King of the Brocean
The Antler and Thistle

The Antler and Thistle, being sort of the "go-to" spot for late night relaxation in Brindol normally pulls in quite a crowd, and tonight is no different. Although the night is relatively young, the place is a bustle with patrons crammed around tables, waiting for the rushing barmaids to bring them their drinks and food. There's a few dozen people here, mostly humans and elves, enjoying a few good stories around the rather large fireplace that dominates the center of the tavern. In the far corner, a table of slightly shady individuals sits, gambling over some sort of card game.

Bruno steps up to the bar as the bartender, a portly human of about 50, walks over to him. He raises his eyebrow a bit, then shakes his head slightly. "Welcome ta my pub, stranger. Get ye a drink?" Bruno lists off some fanciful drink names while the bartender simply stares at him. "Tell ye what, I'll get ye what me wife likes." He returns in a few moments with a glass filled with the brightest pink liquid anyone has seen. "Now, as for yer friend, no one by that name's come in ta here lately." He pauses a moment. "But if yer looking for someone with powerful thighs, ye might want ta talk ta that fellow at tha end of the bar," motioning towards a large gray man. "He looks to be powerful all around." The bartender then starts laughing deeply.

An elf with a large hat then approaches the bar, asking for food, drink, and lodging. The barkeep obliges the first two requests, but as for the third, he lets out a short laugh. "I've got room for people ta eat and drink, but once they start passing out, that's where I draw the line. If yer lookin' for a place to sleep, ye might want to look down the street. Me brother's got the finest inn in town."

The large gray man already seated at the bar is barely aware of the conversation going on beside him, but makes out the words "at the end of the bar" and some heavy laughing.

Jael, seeing that the far corner is already occupied, takes a seat at the opposite corner. Although not as dark as she would prefer, it is a bit apart from the rest of the tables. A barmaid comes and fills her tankard with water.

Squarfly takes a seat at the lone unoccupied table near the fireplace, flags down a rushing barmaid and orders some food and drink.

View user profile http://tmog.forumotion.net

9 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:54 pm

Jael sits back and listens, as always, trying to accumulate all the knowledge possible before needing or choosing to take action. "Strive to be one with Ioun." she mutters to herself as she begins the familiar routine of watching and listening.

View user profile

10 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:05 pm

Make a insight roll to see if they were talk about me, Rolled a 14 and then +1 with insight mod, making 15 total

View user profile

11 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:24 pm

The Minister

avatar
Broseidon, King of the Brocean
KIAD: You discern that the bartender probably made some kind of joke at your expense.

View user profile http://tmog.forumotion.net

12 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:32 pm

Despite liking a good fight, Vim isn't a hot head. Figuring the bartender made a joke at his own expense Vim decides to get up and approachs the bartender and Bruno where he promptly introduces himself as Vim and orders another pint of Ale (Seriously a Pint is not enough for this guy!).

View user profile

13 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:27 pm

Torment

avatar
Teh Eagleman
After Vims unenthusiatic greeting Bruno makes one himself. "Vassup! I am Bruno, the barkeep says you know many people with powerful thighs! have you seen my friend Lutz? people out there who see Lutz are very powerful in physeek, have very powerful thighs and pectoral muscles and wonder what your "Schawasenstucke" is like. Please help me find my friend Lutz! he means everything to me!"

I continue playing a melodious tune to help pass the time.




Schawasenstucke is apart of the Gehard family language. hopefully not understandable to anyone in this plane atleast.

View user profile

14 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:48 pm

After trying to discern what exactly Bruno said, Vim replies "I know of a whole tribe full of those with powerful thighs but I fear not one of them is this Lutz of which you speak of. I wish you luck in your effort to find this Lutz."

Pretty certain that "Schawasenstucke" is some sort of slang for his junk Vim decides it is best to retreat and continue to ponder whether to get a bunny rabbit or a kitty cat. Regardless of the decision the name will be the same...Mr Fluffles.

View user profile

15 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:49 pm

The Minister

avatar
Broseidon, King of the Brocean
Bruno, what type of instrument do you have? I didn't see it on the character sheet.

View user profile http://tmog.forumotion.net

16 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Torment

avatar
Teh Eagleman
The Minister wrote:Bruno, what type of instrument do you have? I didn't see it on the character sheet.

Ha, I guess I forgot to put one on there I guess a Flute would make the most sense.

View user profile

17 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:04 pm

The Minister

avatar
Broseidon, King of the Brocean
I would have thought clarinet would be more your style. Or perhaps it's a Willy Wonka mini-flute.

View user profile http://tmog.forumotion.net

18 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:13 pm

Torment

avatar
Teh Eagleman
Knisleyisadick wrote:After trying to discern what exactly Bruno said, Vim replies "I know of a whole tribe full of those with powerful thighs but I fear not one of them is this Lutz of which you speak of. I wish you luck in your effort to find this Lutz."

"No, You must take me with you! far and wide I will travel to find Lutz, I don't care if it takes months or years Lutz will be found!, besides you have powerful thighs too!"






Haha I have no idea if you want a check for this or not, regardless Bluff, Intimidate and Diplomacy are +9, How are we doing Rolls? I beleive there is a /rand function just don't know how you are planning on doing this.

VVV Supposedly I can't intimidate fellow players according to Mike Drats!



Last edited by Torment on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

19 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:22 pm

Diplomacy? I dunno but my guy is kind of freaked out by yours so I'm pretty sure there is some type of modifier involved in that. Regardless I hate you torm I will so quit if you end up seducing my guy somehow:P

View user profile

20 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:51 pm

A gaunt gnome scurries into the door and stops in his tracks as abruptly as he entered. You'd guess he's a hair older than twenty winters, but those years have not been kind and his appearance is that of an older gent. Dressed in what could have once been stylish clothes, instead they are now caked in dust and grime. However, upon a closer inspection, the grime has actually been carefully placed. Barely visible on the outside and inside of his outfit, and in various faded colors, are calculations, notes, and various scrawlings that appear to have no thematic bearing to each other. He quickly and in his head counts up various items in the bar with pointing and an unconscious nodding of his head before finding a spot close enough to the card players to appear interested in their game.

View user profile

21 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:04 pm

The Minister

avatar
Broseidon, King of the Brocean
The Antler and Thistle
Jael watches from her corner as the conversation at the bar intensifies between the large gray man and the oddly dressed human. Nothing seems to come of it though, and both men retire to their seats as the human takes a small flute out of one of his pouches.

Squarfly's meditations are broken by the sounds of a jovial upbeat tune coming from the bar, and the entrance of a small gnome into the bar. The gnome stares at the bar for a bit, then quickly finds an empty table in the back near the card players. He stares intently at their game, and just as he's about figured out the rules, calamity strikes.

There's a large crashing sound throughout the bar that quickly silences any conversation or flute playing that was going on. Looking over to the doorway, it seems the door has been smashed in, flown from its hinges, and is now laying splintered in two pieces on the tavern floor a few feet from where it should be hanging. Before anyone can react, four brutish looking humanoids, hobgoblins from the looks of them, rush in the open doorway. They all are wielding swords outstretched, and they seem to have no qualms about using them. One of them cries out, "For Sinruth! For the Hand!" as the others begin flipping tables and moving towards the patrons.


Code:

You're up---> Jael
You're up---> Vim
              Human Rabble
              Hobgoblin Grunts
              Squarfly
              Nyx
              Soveless
              Bruno


Ok gents, we've got our first combat going on here. To speed things up, I've rolled init for everyone, and the list above is your order. On the issue of dice rolling, please post your attack mod and damage with any power or attack you're using, and then you can either roll the die yourself and tell me the result, or you can leave that for me to do.

A few reminders about combat: You have three actions, a standard, move and minor, and they can be downgraded to a different action in that order. To keep things flowing, I'm going to let groups of PCs go at the same time if they come before my monsters. In this combat, for example, both of the Seans can post their actions right now.

Also, I've kindof just rigged the map up crudely with letters for everyone and the monsters, but I'll try to replace them with pictures shortly. Anyone who wishes to provide a picture of their character for their icon should do so.



Last edited by The Minister on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile http://tmog.forumotion.net

22 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:38 pm

The Minister wrote:
Code:

You're up---> Jael

I stand up, and draw my sword. (I think that is two minor actions, if not I plan to move too)

"Your deaths here shall be swift! Feel the wrath of Ioun!"


I fire at the North Eastern Hobgoblin Grunt with:
Radiant Vengeance
Wisdom (+4) vs. Reflex 1d8+4 Radiant damage and I gain 4 temporary hp

View user profile

23 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:05 pm

I stand up (does this count as a move action or a minor?) I then draw my weapon and shield as my minor, and I use my move action or standard action depending on what stand up counts as and move to H, 13

Vim shrugs and then screams out to the hobgoblins "I will murder you goblin sons of bitches!"

Is nix one of our guys or is he someone else? Better yet what is everyone characters name I can't seem to remember. One last question you mentioned providing a picture or icon for our character what format do you want it in ect, ect...

View user profile

24 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:38 pm

The Minister

avatar
Broseidon, King of the Brocean
KiaD: Standing up from prone is a move action still, but I'll rule it a minor as you guys are simply sitting at a table/bar. That means you still have a standard to attack if you wish.

Jpeg should be fine for the character portrait.

And you raise a good point. I think a good practice would be to preface your post with your character's name in bold, similar to how I did with the location name in my combat post.

View user profile http://tmog.forumotion.net

25 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:49 pm

The Minister wrote:KiaD: Standing up from prone is a move action still, but I'll rule it a minor as you guys are simply sitting at a table/bar. That means you still have a standard to attack if you wish.

Minor to stand, minor to draw sword+sheild + move = no more actions.

View user profile

26 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:53 pm

The Minister

avatar
Broseidon, King of the Brocean
Right. Missed that you were drawing the weapon/shield. Update coming post-haste.

View user profile http://tmog.forumotion.net

27 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:54 pm

Soveliss thanks the barkeep for his food and drink, as well as the information on the bed for the night. He had assumed that this was also an inn, and was obviously in the wrong. He doesnt even turn when the hobgoblins bash in the door.


Sorry, i was working this afternoon and didnt get a chance to post before the encounter started.

View user profile

28 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:29 pm

The Minister

avatar
Broseidon, King of the Brocean
The Antler and Thistle

Jael is first to react to the hobgoblins' attack, and quickly stands from her table, knocking her chair to the ground behind her. Feeling the power of Ioun surge through her, a radiant bolt of light shoots from her outstretched hand and hits the closest hobgoblin squarely in the chest, killing him instantly. Jael immediately feels bolstered from the hit.

Vim, despite his slightly inebriated state, is also quick on the draw and rushes forward to cut off the Hobgoblin's advance.

The majority of the patrons begin screaming as the hobgoblins move further into the tavern. The card players stand up and start grabbing handfuls of coins, stuffing them into pockets as fast as possible. Several others start running for the back door, while a brave few grab some broken bottles to use as makeshift weapons.

Unfortunately for them, the back hobgoblins step forward and easily cut down those who stood their ground. The remaining one steps forward to meet Vim, his teeth bared in a gruesome smile. "You wish to be the first to die defending this pitiful town?" He raises his longsword and finds a weak spot in Vim's armor, but the resulting wound could barely be called a scratch to the strong goliath.


Code:
Jael   27/27   4 Temp HP
Vim      35/40
Human Rabble
Hobgoblin Grunt
Hobgoblin Grunt
Hobgoblin Grunt
Squarfly   26/26  You're Up
Nyx      28/28  You're Up
Soveless   20/20  You're Up   
Bruno      28/28  You're Up


Jael hits the Hobgoblin, killing it and gaining 4 temp HP.
Vim runs forward.
Back two Hobgoblins step forward and kill a human.
Front Hobgoblin steps forward and hits Vim, dealing 5 damage.

I also changed the colors on you guys just to avoid confusion.

View user profile http://tmog.forumotion.net

29 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:09 am

Soveliss
Grimacing in disgust because he has to stand up, he walks over to a table by the door. He rests his left hand on the orb at his side and chants a few words. Holding out his right hand and snapping his fingers, the sound is amplified a thousandfold, beating itself on two of the hobgoblins. They're lucky he didn't want to start this fine establishment on fire.


Standing up (minor) and moving (move) to square J13. Not actually wielding the orb, its just flavor. Using Thunderwave (standard) on the hobgobs in H14 and I15.

Intelligence (+5) vs. Fortitude. 1d6 + 5 thunder damage, and push 2 squares.

Oh and a question. Is there a way to save my character sheet from character builder to a pdf so i dont have to open the character builder every time i want to look at it? I find it dumb to print out the sheet since its all online.

View user profile

30 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:30 am

RandMuadDib wrote:Soveliss
Oh and a question. Is there a way to save my character sheet from character builder to a pdf so i dont have to open the character builder every time i want to look at it? I find it dumb to print out the sheet since its all online.[/i]

If you can figure out how to "Print" it, go look up PDFCreator

View user profile

31 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:55 am

Torment

avatar
Teh Eagleman
Lutz!? Your not Lutz! nor do any of you have powerful thighs! How do you defend yourself agianst a hobgoblin with a "schwanzenstook" like that? and you interupted my favorite song this von't do at all!




Minor: Get off the Bar Stool
Move: Move to K12

Standard

Vicious Mockery Ranged 10
Target I-15
+4 (Charisma) V. Will
1d6+4(Cha) Psychic

Target takes -2 to Attack rolls til the End of my Next Turn.

View user profile

32 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:28 am

Nyx

"No, no, not the seven, you should... hmph. Right on schedule."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warlock's Curse hobgoblin at H14 for my minor, then Eldritch Blast the same hobgoblin.

Eldritch Blast Ranged 10
Target H-14
Charisma(+4) vs Reflex
1d10+4(Cha) damage
+1d6 damage from Warlock's Curse

View user profile

33 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:08 am

RandMuadDib wrote:

Intelligence (+5) vs. Fortitude. 1d6 + 5 thunder damage, and push 2 squares.

FYI, when you push you have the option of the 3 squares directly opposite the target from you.

View user profile

34 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:06 am

Vim (I won't have time to post today... so I'm posting my plan of action for the rest of the battle)

Vim Laughs at the hobgoblins pathetic attempt to hurt him.




I have three options I want to take depending on the conditions of the battle

Option 1: If any of the hobgoblins are still up when it reaches his turn I want to move to the closest one.

Free Action: Nature's Wrath
each adjacent goblin next to me is marked.

Standard Action: Strength of Stone
+6 vs ac, 1d10+4 damage
+4 temporary hit points (con mod)

Option 2: This is more likely to happen... More likely all the hobgoblins will die before I get to my turn so after battle I will make a short rest and use a healing surge healing 10 hps.

Option 3: More Hobgoblins appear. I use my speed 6 to more to get as close as many of the monsters as possible, Attacks of Opp be damned!
Free action: Nature's Wrath
Mark all adjacent monsters next to vim.

Standard action: Strength of Stone
+6 vs ac, 1d10+4 damage
+4 temporary hit points (con mod)

Note: Marking with Nature's Wrath doesn't seem to give any penalties to monsters but allows me to use Warden's Fury or Warden's Grasp based on certain conditions.

Sorry for the long post but I won't be available until 9 tonight so in the mean time dm can decided what happens to my guy (whether he just silently follows or you actually have him fight in the battles your call whatever is easiest just for the sake of making the posts go fluidly.

View user profile

35 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:42 am

Knisleyisadick wrote:
Note: Marking with Nature's Wrath doesn't seem to give any penalties to monsters but allows me to use Warden's Fury or Warden's Grasp based on certain conditions.

No, all enemies affected are marked which gives them -2 to any attack where Vim is not part of the group of targets.

Welcome to being a defender.

PHB p. 277 wrote:
MARKED
✦ You take a –2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack
that doesn’t target the creature that marked you.

View user profile

36 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:05 pm

I wasn't sure if it gave a penalty or not considering marks for other class mention the -2 penalty for their marks being that the warden's mark doesn't mention that. However if that is what the phb says on all marks then that is the case. Was just trying to err on the side of caution. Sean please don't make smartass comments about simple mistakes like that, because whatever the results are I still love you:P

View user profile

37 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Knisleyisadick wrote:Sean please don't make smartass comments about simple mistakes like that, because whatever the results are I still love you:P

I can only assume you are talking about the welcome to being a defender comment. I'm not sure I follow as far as being a smart ass, but I will see what I can do.

p.s. Forums make snarkyness worse

View user profile

38 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:52 pm

All is good it is really easy for arguments to start over dumb misunderstood statements. I apologize for overacting.

View user profile

39 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:57 pm

Squarfly stands up swiftly, taking her staff in her hands she yells, "With Moradin's wrath, ye shall be judged!" Pounding her staff three times, a noise like that of a strong thunderclap radiates the room each time the staff touches the floor of the tavern.


I stand up(minor) wield my staff (minor) and "use" Thunder of Judgment on the 3 remaining Hobgoblins. (standard)

I rolled an 18 (+5 wis) = 23 vs Fortitude
I rolled a 4 (on a D6) + 5 (wis) + 3 (Covenant of Wrath) = 12 damage
If I hit, I can push up to 3 squares, I will push them into a group away, towards the door and into a group. (1 front two back row) like an 'L' (i.e. F15, F16 and G16)
I also gain a +2 to AC (so its at 18 now until the start of my next turn)

View user profile

40 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:37 pm

The Minister

avatar
Broseidon, King of the Brocean
Since Squarfly is targeting three enemies, you get to roll three separate attack and damage rolls, one against each of them.

View user profile http://tmog.forumotion.net

41 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:42 pm

I thought it was an attack roll for each target, then a single damage roll that is applied to all of them?

View user profile

42 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:43 pm

The Minister

avatar
Broseidon, King of the Brocean
For bursts and blasts, yes, but he's using a power that specifically targets 1, 2, or 3 enemies.

View user profile http://tmog.forumotion.net

43 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:55 pm

Gotcha. My Bad.

View user profile

44 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:36 pm

The Minister wrote:For bursts and blasts, yes, but he's using a power that specifically targets 1, 2, or 3 enemies.

Except that for bursts and blasts it is a single attack roll.

Also, my appologies to Squarf, I had originally misinformed him on the rolling mechanics... as I had thought it was 1, 2, or 3 creatures in burst, and therefore would be an AoE attack

View user profile

45 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:43 pm

Sean wrote:

Except that for bursts and blasts it is a single attack roll.

AoE powers have multiple attack rolls and one damage roll, according to the PHB on page 271.

View user profile

46 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:48 pm

So it seems, I think I missed that in my campaign I've been running. We should open up a rules thread because this thread is getting bogged down in rule discussion.

View user profile

47 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:17 pm

The Minister

avatar
Broseidon, King of the Brocean
The Antler and Thistle

Squarfly stands up and smashes her staff, sending out waves of thunder towards the hobgoblins. The one engaging Vim drops to the floor, dead, but the other two hold their ground.

Nyx mutters a few words under his breath at one of the remaining hobgoblins, then lets loose a dark bolt of energy. Unfortunately it is off the mark and careens into the wall of the tavern.

Soundwaves eminate from Soveliss, colliding with the hobgoblins. One immediately crumples to the floor, but the other manages to stand his ground. "You think mere sound can defeat me?"

Seeing that his intended target is now dead on the floor, Bruno turns his attention to the far hobgoblin instead. His words seem to pierce directly into the creature's mind, and he too falls to the floor.

As soon as the hobgoblins have been defeated, two small goblins enter the tavern, each wielding an odd looking torch. They glance around, quickly assessing the situation. One gets a grin on his face as his eyes narrow on the bartender, and with a mighty heave the torch goes flying. For an older gentleman, the bartender has good reflexes though, and manages to duck behind the bar as the torch flies over his head, directly into the back cabinet storing the alcohol. The torch is still on fire.

The other goblin throws his torch at a long table on the opposite wall. "Hee hee, Death and Destruction in the name of Sinruth!"


Code:

   Goblin Blackblade (G15)
   Goblin Blackblade (H15)
--->   Jael         27/27   4 Temp HP
--->   Vim         35/40
   Human Rabble
       Squarfly         26/26
   Nyx         28/28
   Soveless         20/20   
    Bruno         28/28



I went ahead and rolled for Squarfly's other two attacks, and you missed, but it doesn't really matter as the rest of the party cleaned up the rest. On to round 2!

Squarfly hits Hobgoblin in H14, killing it.
Squarfly misses Hobgoblin in I15.
Squarfly misses Hobgoblin in F15.
Nyx curses Hobgoblin in I15.
Nyx misses Hobgoblin in I15.
Soveliss misses Hobgoblin in I15.
Nyx's pact boon triggers.
Soveliss hits Hobgoblin in I15, killing it.
Bruno hits Hobgoblin in F15, killing it.
Goblin throws torch at C10, bathing that square in fire.
Goblin throws torch at N12, bathing that square in fire.

View user profile http://tmog.forumotion.net

48 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:51 pm

Jael


Oath of Enmity on H15

Move to I16

Bond of Retribution
Wisdom (+7) (roll 2d20 and take the higher due to Oath of Enmity)vs. AC 1d10+4 radiant damage



Last edited by Sean on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

49 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:06 am

Vim

Move action: Move to g14
Free action: Nature's Wrath, mark goblin in g15
Standard Action: Strength of Stone against G15
+6 vs ac, 1d10+4 damage
+4 temporary hit points (con mod)

d20 for attack 11+6=17
If hits d10 rolls for damage 9+4=13

View user profile

50 Re: Rescue at Rivenroar on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:30 am

Soveliss
"Damn!"

I know this is out of order, but i'm going to be at work all day tomorrow.

I'm going to cast Cloud of Daggers on whichever foe seems to be the healthiest.
+5 vs. reflex, 1d6+5 force damage. The cloud stays in the square til the end of my next turn. Anyone who starts their turn in the cloud or moves into the cloud takes 2 points of force damage.

Then i'll move to square L13 (or closer to the fire if that square becomes occupied). If the fire counts as campfire size or smaller, i'll burn my action point to cast prestidigitation to put out the fire.

View user profile

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum